Monday, July 04, 2011

Is THAT Trial Over Yet?

Zapping the TV channels this weekend, multiple times I hit some screeching harpy saying "the nation has been captivated for the last month by the trial of Casey Anthony". Really? I haven't. The coverage by CNN, Fox et al has been uniformly appalling. And let's not even talk about the withering scorn-filled harridan that is Nancy Grace. The truth is that the 24 hour news channels loved this story and shoved it down the nation's throat and told us we were "fascinated" with its bile-tasting horribleness.

How different would it have been if there was a 30 second spot per day on the TV with the anchor saying something like "The Casey Anthony trial continued today. The defense made more indefensible statements". What do I really gain seeing everything from gavel to gavel? I trust the jury system. So all you need to tell me is that (a) the trial is going on and (b) the result.

I have no need for "experts", no need for panels, no need for Marsha Clark or Mark Fuhrman and Stepford judges and their "analysis". I really don't need Margret Carlson's opinions on Fox. I know what she is going to say before she opens her mouth. Because what comes out is always cliche and platitude.

And really and truly I have no need for Nancy "Tot Mom" Grace.

Why does she still have a TV show after she made that woman kill herself? And yes, tragedy happens to many people Nancy, it doesn't make you special or more caring than the rest of us. And it surely does not mean you have a right to an horrific TV show. I think we should buy Nancy pitchforks for Christmas. She sure as hell will know how to wield them before the mobs she inflames with her fatuous rhetoric.

And the trial? It cannot be first degree murder if the prosecution cannot say how the poor child died.

Ms Anthony is going to be convicted for being a "bad mother" and for dancing.